I will admit, I have a problem. I am easily excited about a book and will spend hours pining over it until it is finally in my possession. Then, regardless of whether or not I am currently in the middle of something else, I start the new one. This results in me usually having six books on-the-go at any given time. I usually have a favourite and lug that one with me everywhere (who am I kidding, I lug at least two), but beside my bed is a stack of books that battles my bookshelf for the highest standing structure in the room. So, since I have six books on the go, I have yet to actually finish anything in a while. Albeit, I refuse to let the blog go through bookless discussions, so I have decided to compile two lists. Numero uno, the books I am most looking forward to delving into in the near future, and also a list of the books that I missed pre-pub, but that are still high up on my radar. Regardless of my TBR pile that reaches so far into the clouds, I am afraid to stand near it, I will still be returning to these as soon as I can!
The Most Anticipated List (in no particular order):
1. The Blondes: When I heard my friends Lindsey and Amy discussing this book, I was pretty much drooling. Dark satire and the apocalypse? Sign me up!
2. The End of Your Life Book Club: The story of a man who spends his mother’s chemo treatments talking about books with her. This one looks like a tear-jerker but is being comp’d to Tuesdays With Morrie. I am sucker for these kinds of books.
4. Sleeping Funny: Two of the people I admire the most in the publishing world are Lawrence and Miranda Hill. Normally, I steer clear from short stories, but for this lady, I will change directions.
5. Freak: I was a huge fan of Jennifer Hillier’s debut thriller, Creep, and am dying to know what will happen to Jerry, Sheila and Morris this time!
6. Scarlet: My office literally had a total girl moment when ARC’s for Marissa Meyer’s newest Lunar Chronicles installment arrived. There was shrieking, jumping and some serious gushing. I have yet to read Cinder, so clearly, I have some catching up to do.
7. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: Everything about this book screams wonderful. I am saving it for a day when I can lay in bed and read it all at once. Perhaps this weekend?
8. Iron Hearted Violet: A fiery red-head and a dragon afraid of his own reflection, plus a forbidden book and whispered secrets? Yes. Yes indeed.
And now, the books that are already out, but that I will be plucking from the shelf as soon as possible:
The Ones That Slipped Through My Fingers:
1. The Age of Miracles: Recently pub’d and one I keep staring at, this book has been recommended to me by countless people at work, as well as the friend who gave me the ARC months back. Lindsey, I WILL read this!
2. Rules of Civility: The release of the paperback has reminded me that I STILL haven’t read this one! Given the fabulous reviews from both media and my own friends, I know this one is a must-read!
3. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In a Ship of Her Own Making: A favourite from one of my work mentors, this seems like the modern-day Alice in Wonderland. With the new book releasing in October, I need to get on this soon! P.S. This cover. The end.
4. The Night Circus: How on earth this one got past me, I will never know. Again, the paperback release was a slap in the face: hello, you still have not read this yet! Getting on it, ASAP!
I could keep these lists going on forever, but as I sit here staring at my stack, these are the ones that stick out the most. So many books, so little time! Anything you are excited about or kicking yourself for not having read yet?