I love being a nerd. I only wish it was cool to be a nerd when we were kids. But, even in the book community, there are still sometimes little judgments that shock and appall us about other bookies. So, I thought it would be interesting to lay some of my readable confessions out on the table and perhaps you’ll feel inclined to share a few of your own!
1. I am a jealous reader! No matter what I am currently reading or how much I love it, I will automatically become jealous of my friend or coworker who looks more into their book than me. I wish it didn’t happen! Today, after listening to a coworker talk so passionately about her current read, I was so close to putting my own book down to see what all of the fuss was about. I refrained ..but for how much longer?
2. People always ask how I can manage to read so many books at once. I can’t. I just pretend I can. Most of those books that I started and abandoned in persuit of something else, will never be finished. A sad, sad demise.
3. I have never re-read a book. EVER. I have re-read favourite parts, or sit staring at my favourite books remembering what it was like to read them, but I have two reasons for never picking them up again:
(a) I already know what happens and I am a plot driven reader. I can’t stop until I KNOW HOW IT ENDS!
(b) There are hundreds of books in my house. I always feel like I will never finish, ESPECIALLY if I stop to re-read.
Confession 3.5: I really wish I didn’t feel this way!
4. I have occasionally forgone food for books. Mostly in university. Some people don’t think this is a big deal because they forget to eat when reading anyways. I do not. I love to eat and never forget that food or eating exits. I used to just buy as many salad ingredients as I could so that the salad would last a week.
5. I somehow made it through university without reading .. mmm, probably 80% of the syllabus. I had other things to read that I deemed more important, like Twilight and Douglas Coupland’s new book. I often wondered how people could say they didn’t have TIME to read with school. Now I see why. They actually read their school books! My bad..
6. I enjoy crying at the end of a book. It is cathartic and soothing and makes me feel raw and human.
7. If my boyfriend is out for the night, I sometimes have a date with my book. Candles and wine are included and if we are having a particularly luxurious time, I may put some of my favourite aromatherapy bath salts in the tub. (Just kidding, that’s not a special occasion ..that’s all the time.)
8. I used to lie about feeling sick so that my dorm friends would go out without me, then spend a blissful night locked in my dorm alone with a book.
9. I HATE borrowing books from people. Not only do I love the possession of owning my current read, but I also feel anxiety reading someone else’s treasured books. What if I drop my coffee on it?! I also feel weird buying a book once I have already finished it. Now, if I buy it and magically love it, that just made the buying it a VERY good choice ;).
10. I have not finished the Harry Potter series. This is probably the one that shocks most people. I think I immediately get unfollowed after these kinds of confessions, but I am bearing it all for you guys! I read all the ones available to me as a kid, but was onto new things when the 5th book came out. I have always wanted to go back and someday — SOMEDAY — I will RE-READ the first few and finish the series!
So everyone, those are my readable confessions. How about you?