Like so many other bookish people, I am a lover of lists. I am almost never caught without a notebook, planner or random bits of paper in my purse, and on any or all of these things are scrawled notes, goals, to-do lists and reminders. I love settling into my office chair with my coffee on a Monday and planning out my week. I love making lists that I know I won’t finish so that there is always SOMETHING to look forward to. So when I realized that half the year had already flown by, I went back to all of my 2014 Reading Goals to track my progress.
It was not pretty.
That being said, I really couldn’t care less, because my goals are there for direction, not for strict re-enforcement, though I do love keeping up with them. So here is my progress report!
1. Read 85 books.
2. Finish the Harry Potter series (Books 2-7).
3. Read 23 books I owned prior to Christmas 2013.
4. Keep a journal of all the books that come into my home and keep tabs on pricing.
Simple enough, yes?
So here is how I’m looking now:
1. On June 30, I clocked in at 33 books, which is a good 8 books behind schedule. Not only am I behind, I was surprised to see that of my 33 books, 16 of them were graphic novels. I usually devour graphic novels in one (at most two) sittings, so this shows that my reading time has actually decreased considerably. Looking back, I can’t see exactly why, other than I did read a few more trying books in the first half of this year. Interesting..
2. I am currently halfway through Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, which puts my progress on this goal way behind schedule. Sadly, I put this down to read something else and didn’t pick it back up. It is however back on my nightstand and I am promising myself that I will finish it this month!
3. Of my 23 already owned books, I have only managed to read 3.. yikes. Which is directly correlated to the following point..
4. I have kept a journal and made note of all the books I have bought and yet.. my book buying habits have sadly not changed much at all. I still buy more than I read and still continue to replenish my shelves even after a purge in order to clear off some space. This is bad.
However, regardless of the goals, I have had a fabulous six months worth of reading! I’ve hardly abandoned any books, I’ve read a healthy amount of older novels and not JUST new releases. I’ve discovered new authors I love, finished a series I love and explored various genres. I’d say I’m doing pretty well thus far!
And I am really planning on getting back on track reading-goal wise this month, since I will be spending a week reading on a beach and will undoubtedly bring WAY too many books.
How are you doing with your reading goals thus far? I’d love to hear it!