I wait for this day for MONTHS. As much as I love a sunny afternoon and sangria on patios, I was not made for the heat. I was made for chilly breezes through open windows, the smell of mulled cider and cozy sweaters or blankets. Fall is my jam!
Now, technically September still feels like summer, but it’s just proof that fall is following on the coattails of those summer nights. It’s no surprise that I read more in the fall too. I get into bed earlier to cuddle up and keep warm, I take long bubble baths with my books, I stay in bed a little later on weekends curled up with my current read. I just love it. So much.
Last year, around this time, I made a list of books I’d like to read between now and the end of the year. 4 more months to get to my Goodreads goal and I love striving for gold. So the other day, I made my list for this fall, plus some commentary as to why certain books were included. Hopefully I’ll remember to do a monthly check-in and see if I’ve crossed any of these books off the list or if it changes entirely (totally possible).
My goal is 65 books but the end of the year and I’ve read 41 so far, leaving 24 left to read.. let’s do this.
The “Hopefully By The End of The Year List”!
- The Family Fang – Kevin Wilson (currently reading)
- Barbara the Slut – Lauren Holmes (currently reading)
- The Martian – Andy Weir (before the movie!)
- Home is Burning – Dan Marshall
- To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee (re-read in prep for next..)
- Go Set a Watchman – Harper Lee
- Why Not Me? – Mindy Kaling
- After You – Jojo Moyes (I doubt anything can top Me Before You, but I have to read it regardless!)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – J.K. Rowling (been taking too long to get to this one!)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – J.K. Rowling (keep the train moving)
- The Thing Around Your Neck – Chimamanda Ngnozi Adichie
- Don’t Look Now (and Other Stories) – Daphne Du Maurier (perfect for fall!)
- Coraline – Neil Gaiman (more fall perfection!)
- The Graveyard Book – Neil Gaiman (okay, we are getting into my Halloween time reads)
- Ghostly – Audrey Niffeneger
- The Magicians – Lev Grossman (tv show coming.. looks decent!)
- The Shepherd’s Life – James Rebanks (sounds so good)
- Mockingjay – Suzanne Collins (last book in the series, must read before the movie)
- Baba Yaga’s Assistant – Marika McCoola & Emily Carroll (I LOVE Carroll’s art, so I must read this)
- Let Me Tell You – Shirley Jackson (need to read some Jackson and this sounds great!)
- A Walk in the Woods – Bill Bryson (before the movie, and because it’s nature!)
- Juliet Naked – Nick Hornby (I love his column in The Believer so it’s time to read his fiction!)
- One Last Thing Before I Go – Jonathan Tropper (I loved This Is Where I Leave You last year, and desperately want to read something like that again)
- The Royal We – Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan
Any suggestions of which to prioritize? What books are you hoping to read before the year end?